Apple, Fennel and Walnut Salad
Aged Cheddar would be perfect with this palate-refreshing salad, but here’s another appealing trio: Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk, Vermont Creamery Cremont and Point Reyes Bay Blue. Adapted from The Cheese Course.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 large fennel bulbs, halved
- 1 red apple, quartered and cored
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Let stand 30 minutes to allow the shallot flavor to mellow. Taste and adjust the balance as needed.
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Toast the walnuts until fragrant and lightly colored, about 15 minutes. Cool, then break into small pieces or chop coarsely.
With a mandoline or other manual slicing device, slice the fennel bulbs thinly crosswise. Slice the apple quarters thinly crosswise. In a large bowl, combine the fennel, apple, walnuts and parsley. Add the dressing and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasoning.