Baby Greens with Red Pears and Triple-Cream Toasts
Unctuous triple-cream cheeses satisfy in small portions. One of the best ways to enjoy these over-the-top cheeses is to spread a little on toast and serve with a salad, which balances their richness.
Be sure to purchase your pear in time to allow it to ripen. Leave it at room temperature just until it gives slightly at the stem end. Firm pears may need 3 or 4 days. Adapted from The Cheese Course.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices country-style bread, approximately 4 inches by 3 inches by ¼ inch thick, or 8 slices baguette cut on the diagonal
- 1/3 pound mixed baby lettuces
- 1 large red-skinned pear, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 pound triple-cream cheese such as Red Hawk, Brillat-Savarin or Délice de Bourgogne
Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste. Let stand 30 minutes to allow the shallot flavor to mellow. Taste and adjust the balance as needed.
Toast the bread on both sides. In a large bowl, toss the lettuces and pears with enough of the dressing to coat the leaves lightly; you may not need it all. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Divide the greens and pears among four plates. Spread cheese on the toasts and place them alongside the greens.